An ergonomic chair supports your body fully much more than a generic computer chair. It is beneficial to someone who spends many hours sitting down at a desk each day.
A chair with ergonomic support includes 5 – 9 areas of specific support including:
- Adjustable headrest
- Countoured Lumbar (curved bit of your spine)
- Adjustable arm width and height (for comfort and proper elbow support)
- Adjustable seat pan (the part at the front of the seat)
- Chair height and tilt adjustments and a tilt lock
Correct Sitting Posture
The image above shows the correct sitting posture. You should have a good 90 degree right angle at the elbow and knee joints.
Your back should also be nice and straight and your neck aligned, not leaning or straining forward.
Also, note the distance of the eyes from the computer screen of 18 – 24 inches, this is to help prevent unnecessary eye strain and damage.
How is your current sitting posture?
Imagine your body shape from the side as you are sitting in your chair and ask yourself these three questions.
- Are you sitting up straight and leaning back into your chair or are you leaning forward into the computer screen?
- Are your feet flat on the floor or on tippy toes, or even worse, are your legs crossed?
- Do you have any support under your elbows or are they floating in the air / hanging from your wrists which are anchored on the desk?
If you answer yes to the second option for each question, you may want to look at getting an ergonomic chair to better support your body when you’re sitting at your desk.
This will help to prevent aches and pains, eye strain and help you be more focused and comfortable in general.
The SIHOO ergonomic Chair.
An ergonomic chair will look similar to the one above. The mesh back helps with comfort so you don’t get too hot, (like with a leather effect chair).
This SIHOO office chair, available on Amazon, is a perfect example.
It has 5 adjustments,
- Adjustable back support
- Headrest adjustment
- Stepless seat height
- Tilt adjustment
- Height adjustable armrests
It is a mid range price ergonomic chair.
Some can be as low as £100, and some are in excess of £500. This chair comes in at under £200 and offers quite a lot for your money.
It is easy to assemble and is a good sturdy well made chair. (Also available in orange.)
The SIHOO ergonomic chair is just one of 100’s available. Most offer the same features, it comes down to the quality of the cushion support and the style / design of the chair.
You should now be equipped with knowledge about what an ergonomic chair is and what it can do for you.
I hope your pursuit to find the perfect computer chair is a success, it will certainly change your life for the better when you do!